Christmas again today!!! I got 2 packages from my brother Dave with fishing stuff that I really needed!!! Since I’m in Dangriga this afternoon I won’t get a chance to use any of it today. But tomorrow I’ll put them to good use.
Well one more time to Belmopan (at least) for Tricia in the saga of her search for citizenship. Probably on Friday 6/ 11. It seems that there was an inconsistency between the name on a birth certificate and a marriage license for her “husband” Patrick. Tricia had to get his signature and a notary stamp on another form to get that straightened out. Cross your fingers! One of the good things about going to Belmopan is that I found a coffee shop where I can get a 5 shot espresso (that’s all that fits in their take away cups) and has a book exchange. We also were introduced to a passable pizza restaurant that serves wood fire pizza and actually has more than 5 pieces of pepperoni on it and real mozzarella cheese. So we get double pepperoni and double cheese when we go. Too bad it’s a 55 mile each way trip. Or maybe it’s a good thing because we’d be there every day!
Nichola came to say goodbye this morning. She’s another of the many Canadian guests who visit here. She’s lives in Prince Edward, British Columbia but was born in New Zealand and is still an NZ citizen. Nicky is a college student studying forest ecology. She’s almost 30 so she’s not your typical aged student but you know I’m of the mind that teenagers graduating high school have no idea what they really want to do with their life so should put off school until they mature a little. Anyhow…she’s been here 4 nights longer than the night or 2 she had originally planned on. She, Steve, and Tricia (the designated driver) are headed for Placencia in Steve’s pickup truck. Nicky’s plan is to head to Honduras. Actually Nicky’s plan was to head there several days ago but Kismet got in the way. Peaceful, nice people and good food was her reason for staying longer than planned and she said she may even change her mind and come back with them from Placencia tonight. Yesterday she, Tricia and I took a nice canoe ride into the lagoon so she could experience the “Oh my God” tower and Trish could have a few hours off. Anyway, she’s like me in that…have hammock, will travel. She even put it up in her room a few nights and slept in it. So it will be sad to see her go. I told her she was one of the more funner people that have stayed here. I suggested she come back for Lobster Fest in Placencia or Caye Caulker on 6/25. We’ll see what happens tonight when the truck comes back… Anyway, she’s a very nice kid and I wish her well.
I haven’t mentioned who Steve is. He’s a retired (at 38 years old) software engineer from southern California who bought a 40 acre farm off the hummingbird Hwy not far from Hopkins. He’s stayed with Tricia several times while he was looking for property and for 6-8 weeks this time while he waits for his Mennonite style house to be built and delivered to his farm. He’s pretty funny when he gets drunk and starts spouting Martin Luther King speeches from the upper porch to everyone in listening distance. And he is quite loud so I imagine everyone in Hopkins is getting an education. The people between Hopkins and Dangriga love him because he distributes money and rum to everyone he meets. On one trip he was mixing drinks for the cops. He figures that will grease the skids should he be arrested for anything… He’s a nice guy though and treats Tricia very well.
The Caribbean water has been very hot these past few months. I guess it’s an effect of the El Nino that’s happing this year. So the water is too hot to swim in unless you like bath water. It’s not refreshing for me at all. Tricia jumped out of the canoe and into the lagoon a couple of times yesterday and said she was par-boiling herself. One of the only things that I didn’t like about living in Florida was that the ocean and gulf waters were way too warm. I loved the temperature of the Atlantic when I lived in NJ and Lake Michigan when I was growing up in Oak Lawn (southwest side of Chicago). THAT was refreshing on a hot summer’s day.
I haven’t seen hide nor hair of my bike in my travels around Hopkins and Dangriga. I guess it’s a lost cause and I’ll have to replace it soon…
As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment