I finally got to sleep in my own bed Monday night (9/20)! As much as I love to travel I always look forward to my own bed and pillow after a while. I guess it’s just the feeling of home, and comfort, and peace that makes me long for it. It’s always been that way for me. Of course that won’t stop me from heading home to Orlando for Christmas or any other adventure I chose. I know my bed will be here when I get back…
Tuesday, September 21, happy birthday to Peter and to Belize. Peter is 53 and Belize is 29. Belize gained their independence from the British in 1981, although it wasn’t Belize that wanted it. Great Britain was basically bankrupt and started giving independence to those countries that were of little value. Of course they kept places like the Bahamas and British Virgin Islands because they are tourist meccas that bring in millions of tax dollars every year. Belize is the sadder for it as it has never been able to truly make anything of itself. Sad to say it will always be a poor 3rd world country. The government is corrupt and does not want its citizens to be educated basically past the 8th grade. Should the population become educated they would know what their government has done to them, kept them down trodden while lining their pockets. There are a lot of stories of government officials being caught through the years but no one seems to want to do anything about it. It’s so sad because these are a really nice, friendly people who will always be poor and have no future in our world.
Independence Day here is nothing like in the U.S. No city, town or village celebrations to speak of and no firework displays. I did see 2 BBQs here in Hopkins but that may or may not have been to celebrate their independence. There were no flags or banners, no signs, or anything. Me, I made an Independence Day seafood gumbo (crab, shrimp and snapper) and fed Peter and Felix before we went afternoon fishing. Peter took a day off from the net and used his hand line as did Felix. I was the only one who caught anything though, 2 nice size snappers, one black and 1 red, that I gave to Peter and 1 black that I threw back to get bigger. I’ll catch him another day. We all had a good time though. We were done by 6pm and Peter and Felix went home to his birthday meatloaf (his favorite) and hopefully a chocolate cake.
Fishing has been iffy for everyone the past 2 weeks. Some of it is due to the weather, including Tropical Storm Karl and several other days of heavy rains. The recession, and lack of tourists, has put many people out of work including Myra. I’ve never seen so many men throwing net and hand line fishing just to put food on their family table since I moved here. The lagoon is crowded in the evening. They are keeping the smallest of fish. Fish they would have released in the past. It’s sad to see. Monday night, my 1st fishing trip, resulted in a really nice catfish and a decent snapper, both of which I gave to Peter. My freezer is still full so I don’t need fish. But, as any fisherman knows, it’s fun to just get out there and catch and release if nothing else. For me it’s very relaxing. Of course, since I’m not feeding a family, I don’t have the pressure to catch anything so I guess that has a bit to do with it. Tuesday the fishing picked up for both Peter and me. I got a couple of snappers both in the morning evening sessions. In the evening we both stayed after everyone else left and Peter made a killing in stone bass, snook and mullet, probably 35-40 pounds. So he’ll have a nice payday on Wednesday after he cleans them.
Peter and Myra are running Kismet and doing a great job of it. They plan to serve breakfast lunch and dinner as well and will begin advertising that fact in the next couple of days. It’s been a long time dream of Peter’s to have a place serving fish fillet sandwiches. Now he has the opportunity to fulfill his dream. Myra has cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom and Peter and his son Felix are clearing overgrown vegetation all around the property and have raked the beach. Kismet is looking nice again. Sad to say things had not been done since Steve and the bad boys came and the upsetment with them. I know it was hard on Tricia, which put her in a funk, and kept her from hiring people to do the necessary yard work. Now that’s taken care of and all she has to worry about is herself.
According to the weather reports it looks like we will be under a hurricane in a couple of days. Right now it's a tropical depression (#15) that is slated to hit Nicaragua and Honduras and head north over Guatemala, Belize and the MX Yucatan. The forecast has it as a category 1 until it hits the Gulf Of Mexico and then building as it heads toward the U.S. Hopefully we'll be OK. I guess I better start filling sand bags because the water table is very high right now and is just inches below the surface.
As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment