Friday, November 19, 2010

Garifuna Day

Today (Friday 11/19) is Garifuna Landing Day, when they 1st arrived in Belize. The Garifuna people are the largest ethnic culture in Belize. There are also Mayans and Cajun Blacks. While Landing Day is celebrated all over the country Hopkins is considered the cultural center of the country. There was a recreation of the boat landing (I’m told that it is “attempted” by the same 4 drunken men every year) early this morning and later will be drumming, singing, dancing, storytelling, and mass quantities of food. And, as with every other holiday in Belize, copious amounts of alcohol. The celebration actually spans the weekend. There will be an international full house here at Kismet for that. Five people camping (from England) under the sea grape trees on the beach, 1 other person from England enjoying 1 of the rooms, French and Austrian couples, and 2 local friend of Tricia’s from San Ignacio. I actually met up with the French and Austrian couples waiting for the bus from Dangriga on Wednesday evening and escorted them here. All in all it should be an interesting and fun weekend. Bad thing is we had torrential rains last night until 9am this morning. Hopefully it won’t rain anymore today.

I got an email from our friend Zeppi on the 17th that was an invitation to go fishing on 12/9. He was here for a week in late March and we had a great time fishing together. He’s coming to Kismet for a another week and will be spending his birthday here (12/11). His brother Louie is supposed to be here late in November, driving a pickup/camper and will be parking here for a while. So I guess I know about when my next reef fishing trip will be… Can’t wait to see Zep again too! Last night Dwayne, the owner of Bread & Butter Caye, stayed at Kismet on his way back to the states. I’ve met him a few times and he’s a really nice guy. Anyway, he’s invited me out for a couple of days starting 1/9 to fish with him. Can’t wait!

Tricia bought a butane (they don’t use propane in Belize) hot water heater from a shop in Dangriga a few weeks ago and it’s finally been installed in the shower outside the cabana (the shower under the stars). It’s been a little tough taking showers now that the cooler weather is here because there’s not enough heat from the sun to warm the 2 cisterns up on the roof. I have to admit I’ve been hesitant about taking showers a time or two because I expected to come back with icicles hanging. Lord knows I’ve done plenty of the “cold water 2 step these past few weeks! But tonight I was able to take a hot shower for the 1st time and TRULY enjoyed it. She had originally planned to install it in the shower under the house but there wasn’t enough water pressure to turn the unit on. So the only time we won’t be taking showers is when it’s raining…

Kismet has had a nice bunch of guests of late. Matt and Angie, who left on the 16th; Ike and Charles, who are building an organic farm 2 miles into the jungle out around mile 28 on the Hummingbird Hwy and left on the 14th; and William, a Frenchman here to film Belizean cultural things, who is still here. They are all very interesting people. I spent a few hours talking to Ike about his venture. He is building their house and outbuildings right now and clearing the land. His dream is to open his farm up to Woofers (World Organization of Organic Farmers). Woofers are people who donate their time and energy to learn about organic farming and living off the land in return for food and lodging and Ike is well known for his teachings. There is a website that they all join and blog their thoughts on farms they did or didn’t enjoy, things they found interesting, and the like. He and Tricia have worked out a deal where the women who come will be hosed here at Kismet and have the use of a car and he and his group will start part of the farm here. I’ll get a plot too so I’ll finally have my garden plus learn about organics. The plan is to start sometime in March/April. He also hunts wild animals, among them pig, for his own food and I said I’d trade him fish for pig. So I’ll get to try something different.

Thanksgiving is coming up and we’re planning a traditional U.S. feast. I’m going ½ on the turkey with Tricia and of course will be cooking something to add to the menu. At this point she hasn’t invites anyone yet but Ron will be here, and maybe Barry, and she said she was going to invite Peter and his family plus a few other friends. I’m sure Peter’s kids will be asking where the rice and beans are! They will definitely not on the menu!

And so, life goes on for the Fatboy in Belize… As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment