
Tuesday night (1/25) I cooked my dinner and brought it up to Tricia’s kitchen to enjoy a last meal with Hila and Chris. All of us here had been talking about various movies we’ve seen and a couple mentioned the movie “Team America” and said how funny it was. Conan had a copy on his small laptop. So I brought my laptop and flat screen monitor up and we had “movie night” in the kitchen for the 9 of us. Before the movie I was showing pictures of former Kismet guests and Conan thought it was pretty funny that, when he’d say, “Go here, go there, open this or that file” and the screen would mysteriously change or the file would open. I was sitting behind the flat screen with my laptop doing his bidding and he was telling everyone that the screen understood voice commands. Tricia made popcorn to add to the movie theatre setting and we all got our drink of choice and settled in. The movie was pretty funny. Maybe we’ll make it an ongoing thing. Maybe another guest draw for Kismet Inn?!
We see less of Conan since we got the internet. He’s not hanging around the property or sitting at the kitchen table as much as he used to. You find him laying across his bed, or sitting Indian style on the floor, pouring over his computer. I try to do as little as possible, pretending that we don’t have it. It’s hard though. I do kick off downloads of movies at night when there is less usage. Downloading uses a lot of bandwidth, which Belize Telephone doesn’t supply very well. I do check my emails at dinner time. But other than that I stay off it and try to live a normal, unwired life.
Chris resumed his travels today. He’s headed for about a week in Placentia Village (an hour or so south of here) and then Guatemala and Honduras for almost 3 months. Says we’ll see him in 3 months as he has a flight home out of Belize City. He’ll have been on the road for 5 or 6 months. It’s going to be a bit lonely for Conan and me without Chris. We’ve gotten to know, and really like, him since he’s shown up at Kismet. I know he’s sad about leaving because he said it was like family here. But he has places to see and things to do! One less fishing buddy for Conan and me too…
When we got back from Bread&Butter we were introduced to an Israeli girl named Hila, from Jerusalem, who had been here about a week or so. She’s studying to become a doctor (possibly specializing in pediatrics) and is a very nice lady. She checked in with 2 other female friends that she met in her travels, which have since moved on and are now presumed to be in Guatemala. Hila thought she would stay long enough to finish reading “Guns, Germs, And Steel” but that turned out to be a more daunting task than she first thought. She doesn’t read English easily so she only got through a few pages a day and it’s a pretty big book. Tricia told her she could take it with her if she wants to but she preferred reading it here. Sadly, Wednesday afternoon, she resumed her travels as she wants to get to Columbia (South America) before her holiday ends. She took the chicken bus to San Ignacio, in the western Belize and will take another chicken bus tomorrow into Guatemala and will visit Tikal, a big Mayan ruin complex there. The night before she left she and I stayed up WELL past our bed times so she could download some of my iTunes music. She was pretty impressed with my library but didn’t have enough storage space to take as much as she wanted. I also have a copy of her music library and will be adding it to the 962 hours of music (or 6401 songs) that I already have. Anyway…we’re really gonna miss that girl!
I just mentioned the “chicken bus” for the 1st time. It’s actually the same buses that I’ve taken all over the country. Unlike stateside city buses Belize uses Bluebird school buses for all of their internal routes. There are probably close to 6 or 7 bus companies and the all use those buses, some of which are in sorry states of repair, or disrepair as the case may be. None of them have a/c so the windows are almost always wide open, with a 50-60 mph wind blowing through it. I have seen people with live chickens, usually in some type of bag, and even a goat once when I was coming back from Corozal. You never know what will be on board! It’s the same in most 3rd world countries.
I haven’t been fishing this week because of the cold front that seems to have come to stay. It seems the fish get lock jaw when it cools off so there’s no sense in going. Chris, Conan, and I did go for a short time last night (Tues 1/25) and get nary a nibble. Not even the crabs stole our bait. The cold front should be gone in a day or 2 and we’ll start back full time again. I actually miss not going…
We got a new guest from Brazil on Sunday, Hindenburg (it really is his 1st name!), and 5 more guests yesterday (Tues 1/25). Two separate couples, Charlie and Aya from Germany and Peter and Ursula from Switzerland (all about my age), and Chris from Philly; so Kismet is pretty full again. Chris was a late arrival and came just as the movie was starting at 8:30. The Swiss couple arrived in a small RV and are camping in the parking lot near me.
Elvis and I set the posts on Tuesday for my new tarp roof and let them set for the night to let the wet sand harden. Wednesday morning we added the cross members between the 6 posts and on Thursday we’ll tie in the two 10x16 tarps. The reason for the 3rd day is because we got a hour or 2 of rain, which was a blessing because I was literally burning the bottoms of my feet standing on my trailer roof. I even had flip flops on but was burned through them. So we’ll start early Thursday morning. It’s getting hot already and the shade will be welcome relief to the inside trailer temperature.
So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! And, as always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment