Friday, March 4, 2011

The quiet life again...








My palapa roof was finished around noon on Thursday 2/24 and I can feel the difference. It’s also about 2 feet wider than my previous one so I have more shade outside my door. On Thursday 3/3 I added a tarp to the front that now blocks all the sun that fell on the front of my trailer and I’ve dropped the inside temp by another 4 or 5 degrees. I was amazed at the difference it made! I'll have to do something to make it look better though, maybe some thatch over it. Now it’s time to start thinking about a small deck that I can put my grill on and see where the best spot is for my hammock.

We celebrated Bruce’s 62nd birthday Sunday night (2/27) with a steak and chocolate run cake ceremony. Bruce supplied the t-bone steaks and Tricia the cake and a great time was had by all! We’ve had an awful lot of rum cake lately cause by a lot of birthdays. Looks like we’re going to turn into alcoholics if this keeps up! Bruce left us March 1st to return to Old Orchard Beach Maine. We were sad to see him go once again but we know he’ll be back within a year. Bruce…the cabana will be waiting for you as will a cold Belikan beer!

I’m getting a chance to clear out my freezer of fish that I’ve stock piled. The fishing has been up and down because of the weather the past few weeks. I have caught a few snapper and catfish but nothing to write home about or big enough to toss into the freezer. It seems like we’re getting a new cold front every 2nd or 3rd day and some howling winds. We’re also not having much of a dry season. I forgot to tip my canoe on its side the other day and found about 4 inches of rain water in it from the storm last night (2/26). At least it got cleaned out. Hopefully all this will clear so I can restock my freezer with formerly hungry fish…

Tricia went to Belmopan on Friday 2/25 to be sworn in as a naturalized Belizean citizen! It only took 7 years of bureaucratic wrangling to accomplish it but now she’s a happy girl. She’ll be applying for her new passport soon…

Kismet is emptying out of the regulars and hasn’t had a new guest for almost a week now so it’s pretty quiet around here and I'm living the quiet life again. Robert, who had been here for about 3 months, left on Monday 2/28 for his home in Florida for a while. He’s the guy I told you about who bought 30 acres of farm land in Silk Grass and is in the process of having a road built and putting in concrete pillars to support a Mennonite house he’ll have built and delivered. Luke and Jen, the newlyweds, who were here for 2 months, are back at home in Canada. Hopefully we’ll get more guests between now and May 1st when high tourist season ends. Conan now has the time to find a boat and make plans for a house and me to design and build a deck under my new palapa roof. He and I are already planning our next stay on Bread&Butter Caye for sometime in March when Dwayne comes back from his farm Minnesota. We’re already looking forward to that! Too bad Tricia doesn’t have the time to come with us. She’d so love the quiet solitude.

I haven’t been fishing this past week because of the weather and the moon phase so I have no fishing tales to tell. The past few mornings I’ve been thinking about biking out to the marina to see if there are an barracuda to be caught bit something always gets in the way. I’ll try again tomorrow!

And so, it’s another day in the life of the Fatboy in Belize… And, as always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment