
Conan finally bought the “Lil Nauti Lady”, a 19-1/2 deep “V” hulled boat with a 6-1/2 beam, on Tuesday May 3rd. He was having ATM trouble with his bank in the U.S. so I temporarily loaned him $13,500, knowing full well he’s good for it, so he could close the deal with the seller. He’s now completed 2 of his 3 missions in life. 1) An oxygen compressor for his dive tanks, 2) the boat, and as yet not even started, 3) purchasing a Mennonite home to be delivered to a small piece of property here on Kismet. Well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad! But his home purchase will be made soon enough. Anyway we towed the boat to Kismet Tuesday afternoon and couldn’t restart the engine. A Kismet friend named Earl showed up to help Tricia on Wednesday and, low and behold, he has the same type 85hp Yamaha engine. He and Conan did a little maintenance on it and had it running in no time. But it was too late to drag it to the marina to put it in the water. Thursday dawned and by noon we had it at the Sittee River marina. The boat launch was blocked by a 30 foot part barge. You know the kind, a double pontoon flat decked boat with an awning and a railing all around. This one had a bathroom too. Anywho, the owner showed up in a few minutes with his trailer, his wife, and a couple grandkids. He was pulling it out of the water to have it worked on and to sell. Anyone have US$30K laying around. Well getting it onto the trailer was another matter. The first attempt had the barge falling off the port (left for you land lubbers) side of the trailer. I called for him to stop pulling forward and he did and got out to see what happened. The trailer wasn’t in too good a shape anyway and the wood rails were hand wired on and splitting so the barge never was really on the trailer in the rear and the wire rope on the hand winch wire rope was broken. Patrick was there with his boat so we got him to pull the stern (I know, another nautical term, it means the back of the boat) around to try and line it up with the trailer. Easier said than done! It took 3 more tried to finally get it straight on the trailer and out of the water. Because the hand winch was broken so the barge was 4 feet back from where it should have been. This caused the trailer to drag on the ground. Not a good thing, especially with the condition of the road he was going to drive. Plus a new development. One of the trailer tires on the starboard side (right side) was flat. The marina had an air compressor so that was quickly fixed, along with the 2 tires on the port side (remember that’s the right side) that went flat a well while it was sitting on the ramp. We tried everything to get the bow (front) of the barge closer to the deck of the trailer because of the Well the barge had to move 4 feet further onto the trailer or no tow. Conan and I stood on the bow deck to add some weight while our friend Ron used a belt come-a-long to try and lower the bow onto the trailer. No luck. The only alternative was to try and get the barge 4 feet forward. So back in the water to try to float it up to the front. Again, no luck. Ron found the broken wire rope and tied it to the short piece still attached to the winch. The hook was also broken off so Ron attached it to the barge using a vice grip plier. So back into the water one more time to use the buoyancy to help move the boat forward while Ron cranked. I used a water bottle to keep the loose end of the wire rope from fouling the crank gear. That worked and the barge was finally on the trailer and ready to tow. The guy offered us BX$50 to buy cokes bit Conan asked him if he’d sell him 2 boat bumpers instead. The guy gave him the bumpers and still forces BX$10 on us for hydration. I forgot to tell you that it was 100 degrees and VERY sunny and the whole operation took about 2 hours so the drinks were a welcome relief. My shoulders got pretty burnt too because I was wearing a muscle tee. We had no problem getting Conan’s boat in the water and underway. Our first run was to Kismet to see if anyone wanted to come for a ride. I went ashore for a regular tee so my shoulders wouldn’t burn more. Tricia was waiting for a beer delivery so only had time for a short ride. We motored about, getting completely, and refreshingly, soaked because of the waves. Conan played with power settings and engine tilt to make sure everything was working properly and to get a feel for the boat. After dropping Tricia off we headed back to Sittee River to troll a bit (we didn’t catch anything) and tour the river northwest where we’d never been. Really pretty scenery and some really nice docked boats. Too soon we had to head back to the marina to drive Conan’s van and trailer and Ron’s pick up back to Kismet to meet Conan and beach the boat. That was another adventure! We weren’t sure what it was going to be like beaching the boat and them moving it up under the palapa cover. The shore line is made up of a 20-25 degree slope followed by about a 45 degree slope. Tricia did have two 6” pieces of PVC pipe to use as rollers but it still took 6 of us (5 pushing and Ron winching) to get it above the high tide mark but not under the palapa. Hopefully gravity will help us get it back into the water but we’ll have to come up with a better way to beach it. Our think tank (Conan and I) decided we need to put a heavy post into the sand under the palapa, buy a 12 volt winch and mount it on the post, and get 2 more PVC rollers and a couple of planks. That should do it we think. Time will tell… But at least we have a diving/fishing boat and the reef is only 30 minutes away any time we want to go. AND, no more having to put up with incompetent boat skippers. Now we’ll be our own incompetent, but at least more competent than they, skippers. We will at least learn how to be good boat drivers. Well, Conan does have some experience at it having done it for a few years. He’ll have to teach me the intricacies of maneuvering into and out of the docks without crashing into them. And while he’s diving I can do a little trolling near by. I guess though that I’ll have to get myself dive certified at some point. But my take on that is that it interferes with my fishing, and I don’t like things that interfere with my fishing! We’ll see though…
Good friends, and Kismet family members since last year, Matt and Angie will arrive on Friday, bringing their eldest daughter with them. It will be great to see them again and I can’t wait to fish with Matt again. He and I still hold the record for most fish caught in a single trip. I asked him to bring me some fishing tackle (wire leaders and swivel snaps mostly) and a bottle of Bailey’s Irish Cream and a bottle of Irish Whiskey. You can’t buy Irish Whiskey anywhere in Belize. I promised a shot or 2 to our friend Oliver, an Irish born boy, and he’s all excited. He and his partner Denise own Driftwood Bar and Pizza shack a couple properties south of Kismet. I’ll have to stop there Saturday night…
The local Cinco de Mayo celebration was held at Driftwood on 5/5 (when else would it be held you ask?) and a finer Mexican feast was never cooked up. I had the Barito Pollo with Denise’s fresh mango salsa. It was so good I had to have 2!!! So much for losing weight! I had met Denise in the market a few days before and she was telling me that she forgot the CdM was coming up but was now planning a celebration and, knowing I had over 600 movies, asked if I had Nacho Libre (Jack Black) or ¡Three Amigos! (Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Martin Short). Nope but I’ll see if I can download them. Well I found and downloaded both but had no blank DVDs to put them on. So we ended up watching a non-Mexican themed movie. I told her I’d get them to her on DVDs whenever I got a couple. We had a great time anyway.
And that's today's story from the Fatboy in Belize! Keep happy and healthy and practice peace. I do!
No comments:
Post a Comment