Tuesday, June 18, 2013

El Remate, Tikal, and possibly headed home to a flooded trailer...

Day 2 – Part 2 – El Remate
It rained on and off the rest of the day so no more exploring than my brief foray in the morning.  

I spent quite a few restful hours in the hammock resting up for my Tikal tour on Monday. Dinner at 6pm at the hamburger stand and it was 100% better than the 1st time because there was a different cook this time.  Now that I have the electrical adapter I can watch movies in my room during rainy periods so that’s what I did this night.


Day 3 – The Tikal Mayan ruin tour

 
The Tikal Mayan ruin tour was a bargain at US$40!  What a magnificent place!  I’m so glad I came and I’m sure that I’ll be back.  Tom and I were picked up at the hotel at 5:30am and we were the only ones on the collectivo (mini-bus).  When we got to Tikal we joined a group of about 25.  The only bad thing was that I had to wear shoes and you all know how I’m always bare foot so you know how unhappy I was about that.  The day was warm but overcast with scattered drizzle but we enjoyed the day none the less. But again it was so worth it.  It's a really interesting and beautiful place.  We visited temples 1-5, built during  while hiking about 5 miles.  Saw spider monkeys, turkeys, gibnut, kudamundi, and tons of parrots, plus lots of other birds.  The place is magnificent and I can not image how beautiful the temples were when they were still covered with different colored plasters! I took lots of pictures and also have my friend Tom's as well and I will post more of them after I go through them.


When I got back to the hotel and the internet café I had an email from Trish and several others that a tropical depression had formed over Belize with heavy rains and  winds. There is a bus direct to Belize City at 5:30am from where I’m staying (El Remate GT) and it gets into Belize City around 10am and I’ll be on it.  I’ll probably fly from Belize City to Dangriga and take a taxi home. Trish said there was already 2 feet of water covering the property so that means I probably have water inside my trailer.  Thankfully I have nothing sitting on the floor that will be ruined.  Even my fridge is about 18 inches off the floor.  But not sure what kind of damage it will do to my floor since it’s wood.  I’m sure the water will be coming up through the bottom.  There are no big drying fans in Belize like there are in the states so that’s out.  Trish said her kitchen windows were blown out by the storm.  Thankfully the Inn blocks my trailer from the onshore winds and that I closed and locked my big back window so I should be ok there too.  But now my vacation is over…

My expenses so far have been:
Sub-total: US$71.75
2 Dinners:  US$6.40
Snacks/Drink Tikal: US$3.33
Tikal tour:  US$40.00
Total:  US$121.68

Day 4 – Home to Belize and a flooded trailer???
Left on the 5:30am van to Belize City and got there around 9:30am.  No rain until we got close to the city then it rained all the way to Dangriga and for a few hours while I was there.  I tried to fly to Dangriga from Belize Municipal Air Port but when we got there I saw a truck on the runway hosing it down.  It was closed for the day.  The runway is 6 feet from the water and not more than a foot above water level.  So I had the taxi take me to the bus terminal and I immediately caught a chicken bus to Dangriga.  On the way I called Trish to see I anyone could pick me up at the Hopkins junction but the flooding was too bad.  So on to Dangriga and I got the about 1pm.  There was more water on the Hummingbird Hwy east of the Southern Hwy junction and in Dangriga itself than I’ve seen in the 3 years I’ve lived here. The entire southwestern part of the town looked like one big lake.   At one point in the journey  Hummingbird was covered with 2 feet of water for a couple of miles and the police were only letting pickups, trucks, and buses through so I was able to get into Dangriga.  Now I wasn’t sure that the 2pm Hopkins bus was going to come because I was sure that Hopkins Road would have the same or worse flooding and I’d be stuck in Dangriga for the night.   I had to sit there until 5:15pm to take the Hopkins bus.  So I ate dinner and sat in the restaurant reading until the bus came.  I talked to Trish several times during the day and she said that the flood water was draining away pretty quickly.  At one point it was hip deep.  All of her downstairs guest rooms were flooded.  She said that at one point the water level was an inch from my door sill.  I figured by that point that the water would seep in through the flooring.  Hopkins road was covered with about 2 feet or more of water too but the bus made it.  When I got to the Kismet driveway it had about a foot of water on it so I took off my flip flops and waded to my trailer.  When I got the I found about 6 inches around the trailer and my wood pallet door stop floating.  Trish pointed out the water mark just below the door sill so I was sure I’d find flooded carpet when I opened the door.  But the god’s had smiled on me and I had no water on the floor and no roof leaks!  Boy way I relieved!   I didn’t know how I was going to dry the floor out because, like I said earlier, there are no big drying fans available anywhere in Belize that I know of so I’d have to do it with my 3 stand fans and not very efficiently either.  Or pull up the carpet, what little there is of it.  So I was saved from all that.  But had I chose to continue on with my trip those same gods probably would have went the other way and I’d have come home to a real mess.  So now I’m thinking about heading directly to the Honduras Bay Islands on either Friday or Saturday, depending on the weather, to finish what I started.  We’ll see…



My expenses so far have been:
Sub-total: US$121.68
1 Dinners: US$7.50
Van to Belize: US$21.00
2 chicken buses in Belize:  US$7.50
Total: US$157.68 for 5 days (US$39.42 per day avg)

(A couple people have asked me how cheap it is to travel down here.  That's why I've been posting a running total.  Hope it helps!)
 
As always practice peace.  Fatboy In Belize out!

No comments:

Post a Comment