Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The end of Spanish School and back to my home...

Day 8:
Today was the first day that I truly enjoyed learning Spanish.  I got a new teacher today who speaks better English than Corina so it was easier for me to understand what I was being taught.  I actually feel like I accomplished something today. In the 4 hours on Monday I learned more than the 16 hours the previous week.   So I’m counting this as day 1.

Day 2 of Spanish School:
Another good day at school plus we had a student luncheon cooked by the staff.  Chicken breast stuffed with fresh spinach, cheese, and garlic; and mashed potatoes and a salsa.  They plied us with Cuba Libres too (coke, lime, and white rum) and I had 2.

Later Tuesday afternoon I did not feel right.  I couldn’t put my finger on what’s bothering me at 1st.  I feel weak and a bit disoriented. I was up on the rooftop reading my book and felt feint so I went down to my room and took a nap.  I thought maybe it was my blood pressure.  If I was home I would break out my cuff and check it.  But here I have no easy way to do that and I don’t want to say anything to my host family yet because they are already worried about the problem my knee is causing.  I’m still in quite a bit of pain from my knee too and often feel sick to my stomach because of it.  I decided to skip dinner that night. Then it hit!  I couldn’t keep anything in me and it reminded me of when I had dysentery in Hong Kong.  This is not nearly as bad though. That time I lost 25lbs in a week and I only weighed 155 at that time. After talking to some people it may have been the ice cubes in the Cuba Libres at the school luncheon earlier that day or possibly the semi-cooked chicken.  I did try to cut around it.  Wednesday and ½ of Thursday were spent in bed and I only had toast, small amounts of rice, and tea to eat/drink.  I finally felt good enough Thursday afternoon to eat lunch at the house with the other 3 students but that didn’t stay with me too long.  I also get my BP taken on Thursday morning and it was 188/120.  Not too good!  Maybe Guatemala should be taken off my “where to live next” list.  I haven’t been sick a day in Belize since I arrived there on February 4, 2010.  I’ve been here almost 2 weeks and am wearing a leg brace and been sick 3 days already.

Back to school on Friday but I only made it 2 hours before I had to rush home to bed.  It seems that every time I eat it goes right through me.  Can we say Montezuma’s Revenge?  I sure hope not.  I ate only bread and tea on Saturday and Sunday and even that wasn’t appreciated by my body.  Monday a trip to the doctor and after a test (I won’t tell you what kind) I was told that I had Cyclospria and given Bactrim to take for 5 days.  So it’s supposed to kill the little buggers that I picked up as well as the ear infection I got too.  I also decided to drop out of school for a week so I can kick this darn thing.  Sometimes antibiotics affect me the way this has so I don’t want to be away from a bathroom or have to use a shared one and not have immediate access to it.  Ok enough grossing you out with my complaining.

Tuesday I woke up feeling pretty darn good.  Actually had an uninterrupted night’s sleep!  I even felt well enough to venture out and have a meal of spaghetti with eggplant ragu and bread and it had no effect on my.  So I guess the Bactrim is working.  Wednesday I ate light because I’d caught a cold and was back to feeling a bit off.

On Thursday I decided I was going to head for home so I booked my Collectivo (van) to Guatemala City and 1st class bus to Puerto Barrios for Sunday 8/11.  Included in the price was a pickup at the house to get me to the van.  The van was scheduled for 4am and the bus at 6:30.  The reason for the early times was that the water taxi from Puerto Barrios to Punta Gorda BZ leaves in the afternoon at 2pm and I needed to clear immigration before the boat.  Anyway I was told to come back to the office on Friday to pick up my tickets, which I did.  No tickets were delivered to the office.  So I was told to come in on Saturday. Hey didn’t have the tickets when I got there at 1pm but they promised to deliver them to the house as soon as they came.  That was 4:30.

I spent Friday night on the town with Pekka and we found a really good restaurant in the Hotel Posada right near the Santa Catalina Arch.  I had an awesome Fillet Mignon with mushroom gravy, veggie rice, and steamed veggies and a Cesar Salad.  Pek had avocado with chicken salad, fettuccini pasta with a creamy 3 cheese sauce and chicken and garlic bread. The sauce was really great and  thought that it had a touch of sherry in it too.  After a taste of mine he was sorry he didn’t order it too.  Then we headed to the Loco Monkey Sports Bar for a couple of beers and to watch a bit of American Football until we were too tired to see straight.  It was quite a nice night. Saturday was a shopping day for delicacies that I wanted to bring back with me like handmade triple dark chocolate cups with nuts and dried fruit and a semisweet cookie that Rene had in the house that went great with a coffee.   I had ordered 30 of them to bring back and they had them ready but I bought the last 3 that they had just because. I bought that many figuring I’d share some with Trish, who is a chocolate lover too.  I bought 2 dozen of the cookies.  I packed everything safely in my backpack so they wouldn’t arrive as crumbs or melted.

Sunday morning arrived and I was out on the street 10 minutes before the agreed upon time for my ride to the van.  You guessed it…no ride and by the time I got to Central Park the Collectivo had left.  So it was a taxi to Guatemala City so I could make the 6:30 bus.  If I didn’t make it then I would miss the water taxi and have to spend the night in Barrios.  While the taxi was on US$35 it was more than the collectivo and 1st class bus.  Thankfully I had enough.  I keep a stash of US dollars, MX pesos, and GT quetzales in hand at all time so I can escape in any direction and have enough local currency to operate for a couple of days.  The bus was delayed for a little over an hour on the trip to Barrios because of an over turned tractor trailer in the opposite lane.  Not sure what happened but it looked like the cab rolled at least once.  I got to Barrios with plenty of time to spare though and cleared Immigration.  The water taxi trip to Punta Gorda was uneventful but very bumpy.  We at least stayed dry.  I called Trish as the chicken bus passed the Placencia turn off so she knew about when to meet me at the Southern Hwy/Hopkins Rd junction.  She was a welcome sight when I got off the bus! I was safely home by 8pm, after stopping for dinner, and glad of it.  She was glad that I was home too but I wasn’t sure if it was that she missed me or for the chocolates that I brought her…

So that’s the story of my adventure to Antigua Guatemala to try and learn some Spanish.

Now that I’m back home we’re getting warnings of a possible Tropical Depression here Thursday or Friday.

As always practice peace.  Fatboy In Belize back in Belize…out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment