Sunday, November 15, 2009

My trip has started

Well I did leave on Friday November 13th as I planned (chosen because 13 is my lucky number and it's a lucky day for me when it falls on a Friday). I thought it would be a nice 15-18 hour drive but that soon changed. I hadn't even left Orlando when I started having swaying (side to side) problems with the RV when I hit 50mph. I was on I-4 headed toward the turnpike when it happened first. What a scary ordeal that was! I saw cars in the 3 lanes behind me slamming on brakes and swerving. Very scary. At least I didn't cause any accidents. So I looked for the "sweet spot", which turned out to be 45mph. So that made me think it would be a long slow trip... We'll on Saturday I talked with my cousin Pat Coyle about it and he made a couple of calls. The fix was moving some of stuff I had distributed through out the RV to the front to add more weight to the tongue. I thought I was doing a smart thing by evenly distributing the weight throughout the RV. Obviously not. Plus I hadn't added water to the fresh water tank thinking I could save the gas that it would take to haul it all the way to TX. Well I filled it in a gas station that had facilities for RVs. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful but longggg. Thank God for Pat in helping me solve the sway problem I hate white knuckle drives and all I could think of was "I'm driving how far at 45mph? It's a good thing I don't have a schedule once I cross the border."

The only downer so far is that my 2nd cousin Chelsey (Pat and Teresa's daughter) hurt her knee and was in the ER when I got there. The ER did an xray that was inconclusive so tomorrow they will make an Ortho appointment to get it fully checked out. Hopefully it will just be a bad sprain and she'll heal quickly.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment