Sunday, January 24, 2010

Another delay...and a very good reason for it

Well I didn't get to cross the other day due to minor, but critical, electrical problems. But I decided it was my Angels keeping me here in the states for a reason.

Cause and effect: My fridge stopped working the other day. Stupidly I thought about not bothering to fix it. That thought lasted all of 10 seconds. I bought it on to a repair shop on Saturday and they found a short in the wire to the heater, which is on the same circuit as the fridge. That's fixed now. But stupidly failed to check my electrical outlets. So when I parked for the day I plugged in my cell phone charger and it didn't turn on. That clued me to the new problem. So it's back to the repair shop on Monday morning. I decided that these and the other sniggly problems are what my Angels were placing before me to delay my crossing the border.

Reason 1: I had heard from my brother Tom that my step-mom Jean, who has been in a nursing home in a Chicago suburb for 4 years, had died. It turned out that she was still alive but critical. She finally passed early Saturday morning. In talking to a couple of my siblings, and due to the funeral arrangements that were made I can't get up there for the service. So I went to the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Brownsville and lite a candle and said a prayer for her and my Dad and Mom who are already enjoying heaven.

Reason 2: Now this is worth sticking around for! My cousin Kevin, who is a world traveler, contacted me about traveling with me on the drive through MX and BZ. Having a traveling companion is going to be GREAT! Plus he has a lot of experience towing a travel trailer, which will be a big plus. And he even speaks rudimentary Spanish. I can ask for a beer and the bathroom and that's about it. So anyway Kevin flies into Brownsville on Wednesday at 5pm and we're shooting for crossing the border at sun up on Thursday.

Since I have a few extra days here I'm thinking about taking a side trip to South Padre Island. My cousin Pat says it's one of the prettiest beaches he's ever seen here in the states. He also favors Destin FL.

No comments:

Post a Comment