Thursday, January 28, 2010

Underway...shift colors!

It's finally happening! My cousin Kevin arrived in Brownsville yesterday and we're ready to head for my new home in Belize! Well almost... We're sitting in McDonalds using their free internet for the last time in the U.S. Not sure if McD will have it available out of the country. That certainly would be nice but I'm not counting on it. Plus I'm not planning on driving into any of the cities with my trailer attached because I don't want to get stuck on some narrow street or somewhere I can't easily turn around.

Kevin and I are trying to come up with a name for the trailer. He calls his the "Fun Hut". He's going to use "Beliz-a-bago" for his writings for now. Any suggestions?

So once we're done with the net we have to head back to Walmart, fill some gas containers, stow a few things, hitch the trailer to the Jeep then head for the border. Not sure how long the crossing will take because I still need the temporary vehicle doc and I'm sure they'll want to tear the trailer apart before letting us get on our way. In things we've read on the Mexican roads the first 35-40 miles are the worst in all Mexico. Lots of pot holes and bad road surface that will keep us down to 30-35mph, although I typically don't drag the trailer faster than 55 anyway. I figure that they want to make sure whatever you are driving and/or dragging is up to par or that they want to help their auto/truck repair shops are happily busy. After that it's mainly paved 2 lane highways and 60-70mph. We'll be traveling on MX180 for about 90% of the trip. Not sure how far we'll get today or where we'll stop for the night. All I know is that Kevin is drooling over getting real Mexican tacos and make some photo stops. Fine by me! And I think he's already thinking about extending his trip. Fine by me too! I'm hoping he'll love Belize as much as I do. he's looking for a foreign country to retire in when his time comes. Maybe we'll be neighbors!

More later but I'm not sure when! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment