I didn’t realize how long it’s been since I last updated this until I saw the last posting date. How fast these 3 weeks have gone! My life has settled into a quiet routine that I am enjoying very much. It’s too boring to go into, and I said in my 1st blog that I wouldn’t bore you to death with trivial information so I won’t go into my routine. Suffice it to say though that I am very comfortable and rested and thoroughly enjoying my new life here in Belize.
I’m still learning how to cast the throw net for bait. I was down the lagoon with Peter (you remember him, he’s the local fisherman and frequent visitor to Kismet) and he was showing me, again, how to throw while he was fishing. He was getting some nice eating size fish in his net when I was there, which is how he makes his catch. Anyway, while I didn’t bring my net to try it out because I didn’t want to get in the way of his work, I think I may have it done now. I’m planning on practicing it again today…
I never made my trip to Chetumal 2 weeks ago. If you remember I posted about taking a couple of days off (gee aren’t I always off???) and heading to MX to collect my vehicle tax that I wasn’t able to collect when I crossed the border because the bank had already closed. Another of my reasons for going was to renew my Belize visa, which has to be done every month for the 1st 4 months at a cost of US$50, and to renew my vehicle visa which is free at the moment. Instead Tricia and I took a ride to Independence, which is about 40 miles south and did all that. It also gave me a chance to get information on becoming a retiree citizen and a rough estimate on the import tax on my car. That wasn’t as big a shock as I thought it would be. I was thinking US$8000 but the tax man gave me a rough estimate of US$3000 id I remove the 4X4 and engine size emblems from my car. Yes he actually told me that! He said that since they don’t do an under the hood inspection of the car I can tell them that I have a 6 cylinder engine and no 4 wheel drive and that will significantly reduce the tariff and as long as nothing on the outside refers to hidden features I’ll be taxed at a lower rate. I love government officials that help ease the financial pain of doing business in a country! Anyway, after renewing my visas monthly for the 1st 4 months I can get a 6 month visa. After a year I can apply for my Belize citizenship and passport and be a dual citizen.
I got to visit the capital of Belmopan last week where Tricia had an appointment for her citizenship. She’s had some personal and paperwork problems that have prevented her from obtaining it and now she’s going to the top. Anyway, the Belize capital is nothing like you would expect of a nation’s capital. It’s small and has no impressive buildings. Even the U.S. and Great Britain Embassies are very plain looking. I thought that very odd as I’ve seen government buildings in other countries and they are quite impressive. We had a guest with us too. A lady named Raydine (Ray dine) asked for a ride to one of the teaching farms on the way to Belmopan. So we took her and stopped to talk to the people there. It seems she had gotten some bad info about the farm, which was no longer a teaching farm but a fully functioning agricultural station. It’s a good thing that we stayed with her until she found that out. Otherwise she would have had to take a bus back to Hopkins with her luggage. Anyway she came to Belmopan with us and bought our lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Since she is also looking for 500-1000 acres of rain forest land she decided to visit the Land Ministry and ask some questions. She was told that the best, and cheapest, place would be in Placencia, which is at the southern end of the country. This was also a shopping trip for things that can’t be obtained in Hopkins or Dangriga too. One of the things I was able to find at the meat market was spare ribs…one of my favorites! Anyway it was a successful trip and we finally made it home around 7pm.
I want to start visiting some of the other towns and villages around Belize that I heard might be interesting, some near, some far, so I’ll have to start planning my trips so I can see more of this beautiful country.
Until later… vaya con dios!
No comments:
Post a Comment