Friday, March 26, 2010

Life In Belize

Something disconcerting happened on Monday. Tricia was attacked by a local some months ago. A local young thug struck her on the arm with a stick while she was trying to get him to leave her property. Monday was his court appearance and of course Tricia had to appear to give testimony against him. The appearance was set for 10am so Tricia and I made plans to go early and do some shopping and she to make her appearance. I also invited one of the guests, who I have become very friendly with, Jose Luis (Zeppi), and I also asked Tricia to call Ron (our hippy friend) to see if he wanted to join us. Well we got to Dangriga a few minutes after 10 and Tricia went up to the courtroom (there is only one) and a note on the door said court was adjourned until 2pm. So off we all went to run our errands and eat lunch at our favorite street vendor (more on that later too). We arrived back at court at 2pm and Tricia went in. Cases are called in alphabetical name order which placed Tricia near the end of the docket. Zeppi, Ron and I did guy things (a visit to a bar and the local airstrip, some girl watching, etc). After a couple of hours Ron suggested we go back to court to check on her. I sat in the car and Ron and Zep ran into the courtroom. A few minutes later Zeppi came out and said that the magistrate stopped the court proceedings a suggested he leave because shorts aren’t allowed in court. So off he ran. A few minutes later Tricia came out and was telling us about the Belizean court system. It seems the court reporter documents everything that is said in each case, just the same as American courts. The only difference here is that it is done in long hand. WRITTEN WITH A PEN!!! So when anyone talks they can only say 3 words at a time, and slowly. And God forbid someone uses a word that the stenographer doesn’t know how to spell! Anyway, that’s enough to keep each case dragging on. So, anyway, Tricia went back in and in a few minutes she came running back out. When she got to my window she yelled, “Ron was arrested and charged with contempt of court because he answered his cell phone and the magistrate sentenced him to 2 weeks in the Piss House (the local name for the lockup at the police station. It’s one large cell with no seats, no beds, and a bucket for a bathroom. Ladies cover your eye…and NO TOILET PAPER! Can you imagine the poor ladies in the lockup? Having had 2 wives, 2 daughters, 3 sisters, and more than a few girlfriends over the years I know how important toilet paper is to a woman! Ok ladies you can open your eyes now. Not that that wasn’t bad enough but Tricia’s case was held over until April 17th because the court session ran out of time. We were all upset by this new turn of events. Tricia said that we should go buy Ron some dinner and deliver it to the jail. I asked if they fed the prisoners, thinking of course they do, and she said no, that they need to be supplied food. Off we drove to one of Ron’s favorite restaurants, Yummy Yummy Chinese, to buy him fried chicken. The police station is right across the street so I went over to see what the deal is with feeding prisoners. I was assured that they were fed 3 times a day, which came as a relief. When the food was ready Tricia and I walked it over and, while the food was being checked in I started asking questions. Is there a sign about cell phone use? No says the desk cop, its common sense and he said “just like in the U.S.” I said that in the U.S. there are signs that tell everyone cell phone, camera, and recording device usage is prohibited. He just grinned and said, “Its common sense here.” Me, I’m thinking there is no common sense in the way many things are done here in Belize, and this is just one more proof of that. But I kept my mouth shut because I didn’t want to spend the night with Ron. So we just walked away. Ron was released after 2 nights and was not charged with anything. Go figure! And…Tricia’s appearance is rescheduled to April 19th.

Ron is one of the gentlest people I have ever met. He hails from Omaha, Nebraska and is a retired restaurant owner and dirt track racer. Ever night at 7pm he shows a movie for the local kids on the wall of the ice cream shop right next to his house. Last night was Monsters, Inc. (I lend him kid’s movies that I have too). Most of the locals don’t have TV and there isn’t much for the kids to do at night so he provides what entertainment he can for them. That’s just the kind of guy he is.

One of our “must do’s” when we go to Dangriga is stop for meat patties at a street vendor. He serves the most delicious beef, chicken, and fish patties for 50 cents U.S. each. Often times he has only 1 kind and today was fish. I love all 3. Its ground meat or fish mixed with small chunks of onion, potato, celery, and spices and wrapped in dough and deep fried. Mmm mmm good! Since Zeppi has only been here a few days he’s never had the good fortune to taste one. Today he ate 5 of them! They are good heated in the microwave and serves with salsa too.

Zeppi hails from Rio in Brazil but makes his home in Teaneck, NJ with his wife and 6 year old son. He is a construction worker in NYC. She’s an ice skating teacher. Since we are both fisherman he and I have been getting up at dawn to fish the lagoon and also going down around 4:30pm for a second round. We’ve had some great fish dinners the last few nights. He makes an awesome Brazilian fish dish with coconut milk and green peppers. We also had a dozen steamed blue claw crabs for dinner last night that he caught right off the beach. I’m gonna get fat eating his cooking until he leaves! Actually I provide something to each meal too. Last night was Spanish rice with peas and the night before was pasta with garlic tomato sauce. Thank God he leaves April 1st!

I have to renew my visa again by the 28th so today Ron, Zeppi and I took a trip to Punta Gorda, which is at the southeastern end of Belize and about 2 hours away. The renewal has to take place at a port of entry into the country. That gives me a chance to see some of Belize while doing a necessary. I have 2 more monthly renewals before I can apply for a 6 month visa and then 2 more months after that I can apply for retiree citizenship. Punta Gorda was a bit of a disappointment but on the way back we took a side trip to Placencia, which we all enjoyed very much.

It looks like my brother Dave will be my 1st guest. He emailed me on Sunday that he bought his ticket and he will be here from June 26th to July 6th. I can’t wait to see him. I know he will love it here and I wonder if his wife Deanne will have to send a rescue party for him?! I’ll have a few things for him to bring down with him, like Bailey’s Irish Cream for my morning coffee and more cigars. I’m close to running out of both and will definitely be out months before he gets here. One of the good things about packing for Belize is that you can pack light because all you need are bathing suits and t-shirts. That’s all I wear every day and I even wore that into the Belmopan (the capital) a couple of weeks ago. It’s a very informal country.

Not much else is happening here. It’s almost time to put in my garden. I have to wait until April though because it doesn’t rain enough here to support a garden until then and water is a precious resource that can’t be wasted. There is some city water but usually not much pressure so people rely a lot on cisterns, at almost roof level, to store water for showers, toilets, and even cooking. Tricia uses washing machine rinse and sink water to water her few tomato and squash plants. I don’t generate enough gray (sink) water to water a garden so I’ll have to wait. I do have other things to fill my time though.

Well that’s it for now. My sister Diana (Bunny) ends her emails with “Practice Peace”. So, to all my family and friends I bid you “Practice Peace” too.

2 comments:

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Good blog.

Mary said...

Ask Dave to bring down a bunch of skin so soft!

Post a Comment