Dave caught his 1st fish in Belize on Monday 6/28! It was a small snook of about 1-1/2 pounds. No picture though because he says he’s saving that for the “big one”. Tuesday morning we took my canoe into the lagoon and he caught a really nice catfish and I caught a 5 pound black snapper that was part of dinner for Dave, Tricia, Ron, Elvis and me. That will be the last of our fishing until after we get back from Mexico. Sitting on the beach in our chairs he said, “This is the life! Fishing in the morning, reading and sleeping on the beach in the afternoon, and good food!” The only things he is suffering are the biting bugs and the humidity at night when he’s trying to sleep (although it certainly doesn’t sound like it from his almost instant snoring as soon as he hits the pillow). I told him how to set the fans up to make it a bit cooler where he’s sleeping. Tonight he said it was much better. So maybe he’s only suffering one thing now. I’m really glad he’s enjoying himself!
We hit the road for Chetumal Mexico at around 7:30am and were holed up in the Holiday Inn by 1:30pm. It’s a nice place except it has no American TV that isn’t Spanish dubbed. Oh well. It’s the 1st a/c and hot water I’ve had since the 1st night that Kevin and I stayed in the Pelican Beach Resort in Dangriga our 2nd day in Belize February 4th. To tell you the truth I really don’t miss either…well a/c maybe on the really hot nights but my fan makes things bearable. But I really enjoy the cool showers at night before I go to bed. We went to the Sam’s Club already but it wasn’t quite the same as those in the states. It didn’t have as large a food selection and we didn’t buy anything. We did however have a hotdog and soda for the same price as those in the Sam’s at home. One of the reasons we didn’t buy anything is that there is a 37% duty on things brought back into Belize. We’re taking the rest of the day off now and Dave’s already showered and is knocked out. Me I’m downloading movies like a madman! Might as well get a few of the new ones out since I left the states. We went to the Chetumal free zone today and I bought a bottle of Di Saronno Amoretto, 25 Macanudo cigars, and a bunch of chocolate that I can’t get in Belize. I’ll sneak that stuff into Belize in my backpack. We’re leaving about 10am tomorrow and will stop in Belize City at the tackle store for hooks and weights that are REALLY expensive in Dangriga. They charge BZ$1 each! I stopped at a tackle store in the free zone and they were expensive too. I hate losing $2.50 (including the wire leader I use) each time I get snagged in the lagoon. Hopefully I’ll get cheaper tackle tomorrow… We are having a good time here none the less.
As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment