Friday, July 2, 2010

What next???

Well another adventure ahead of us. When trying to cross into Belize I was told by the customs agent that my car visa had expired on March 1st and that I would have to pay a US$250 fine. Not only that but because I didn’t have the original car visa they were going to impound my car! Plus I would have to pay the US$6000 tax on my car! How do I get to the ATM machine to get the cash I asked? Walk he said. It was about 2 miles and I complained so he kept my passport and let us drive. Now remember I said something earlier about losing my passport so I could start all over and delay paying the taxes on my car and trailer? Guess what I’m doing? After a couple of useless calls to the U.S. Consulate in Playa del Carmen (You have to go into either Belize or Mexico to get a new passport. How do I get into either country without a passport because I’m in a free trade zone between the 2 counties? I don’t know she says. Thanks a lot!) So I headed back to the MX border and found out that all I needed was the 6 month visa that I already had. All I needed to do was pay the temporary car visa money again. Too cool! So we’re back in the Holiday Inn in Chetumal until tomorrow and then driving to Playa to the Consulate for a new passport. Its about a 5 hour drive. Two conundrums though… Monday is a holiday (election day) so we have to wait until Tuesday for the Consulate. And the other is that I need to get back to my trailer to get the original paperwork just in case the same agents are in the office when I get back there. I really want to make it look like I’m registering the car for the 1st time though so I’ll send Dave In 1st to check it out. So, I may have to fly to Dangriga from Chetumal and back on Tuesday or Wednesday. At least Dave is enjoying his non-Belize trip so far! LOL At least we’ll have a/c. TV, hot water, and internet until Tuesday.

As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment