I’m ready for my trip to Houston to drop off my car now. Yesterday, Wednesday 9/1, I went to the U.S. Embassy in Belmopan and applied for my permanent passport, which will come in 7-10 business days, and back to Customs in Belize City to arrange to pay the import tax on my trailer and to pick up my car on Tuesday 9/6 to drive Tricia to Cancun airport for the start of her 1st U.S. trip in 8 years and then drive to Houston. She’s going up to Maine to visit Bruce (see my blogs from January) and then on her way back she’s traveling via San Francisco to visit one of her old friends. Me, from Cancun I’ll head west and then north and cross over into the U.S. through Matamoros MX, where I left the country to come to Belize. This time the trip will be easier and quicker, a total of 3 days or less instead of the 6 it took Kevin and I to get here because I won’t be dragging the trailer. But then I won’t have Kevin as a traveling companion either. That’s what I’ll miss most. He at least spoke some Spanish so we were able to order food and get a room plus he was great company. I did add a couple of driving days to the trip for Murphy’s Law… My return flight is from Houston to Cancun, where l’ll take a bus to Belize City for about US$30. The fare difference is close to US$500. My Cancun ticket cost me US$182 but to fly to Belize City from Houston the fare was over US$700…one way! So even with a night or 2 in hotels (I may take my tome coming back and make a holiday of it) I’ll be saving a ton of money. I looked for a flight through Miami thinking I could have an open ticket with a couple of days in between so I could drive up to see my kids in Orlando but the fares were out of sight. So, I’ll have to wait until Christmas to see them. My flight back is on Wednesday 9/15. Plus I’ll get to see Pat and family and eat some good food before heading south. I know I’ll miss my fishing though!
Lots of medical problems in my extended family… Surgeries mostly so prayers for my sister Eileen, my brother Tom and brother-in-law Jerry are greatly appreciated! The economic down turn has severely impacted a couple of my cousins too so add them to your prayer lists as well. Living where I do, and as cheaply as I do, I feel blessed by not having that pressure.
We haven’t heard anything from our friend Ron since he traveled off to his home in Omaha on August 8th to settle some personal affairs. No idea when he’s coming back. Hopefully everything is ok.
As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment