There was a bit of a mix up over our travel plans. Tricia thought her flight was on Thursday but I thought Wednesday. Sure enough it is Wednesday. It all started when I mentioned that I wanted to leave between 5 and 6am on Tuesday, not knowing how long it would take to pay my trailer duty and for Customs to provide a rider to the border. Since Cancun is a 6 hour drive from Belize City I wanted enough daylight to get there, knowing how bad the Mexican road signage is. But that is too early for Steve to get up so we left late Monday and stopped for dinner and sleep in Belmopan and we left at 7am for Belize City and Customs. Customs was not a happy adventure, although I finally got my car after a 3-1/2 hour wait. The tariff paperwork for my trailer, which was supposed to be ready at 8:30am, wasn’t finished until 11am, at which time I paid it. The next adventure was getting someone to ride with me to the border in a timely manner (like the 5 minutes I was promised). Tricia was driving Steve’s truck with him as a drunken passenger. Bad thing was that he stopped everywhere along the way to greet friends and buy more liquor. How much good do you think rehab is going to be, if he even makes it there? Tricia was pretty upset by that too. In Orange Walk he stopped again and I told Tricia I was going to head to the border because I had no idea that kind of a hassle I’d get there so being there 1st would hopefully eliminate their sitting around waiting for me (and it was a hassle but nothing like Belize City). Steve walked back up while she and I were talking and said he was stopping in Corozol for “an hour tops” too. I told them I would meet them in the Princess Casino in the Free Zone. Guess what??? They never showed! I waited 3 hours for them. Of course our cells don’t work outside of Belize because they are pre-pay so we had no way of communicating. I won a couple bucks on the slots while I waited. Finally I decided it was time to be on my way. Tricia had already moved her luggage to Steve’s truck or we’d have had a bigger problem. So my trip to Houston finally started around 6pm. I drove until 2am at which time I was in Escarcega, about 250 miles from the Free Zone. Pretty good distance to drive in that amount of time in the dark and on crummy roads. I pulled into a PEMEX gas station and slept for an hour and drove then to and Villahermosa, getting there at 5:30am and sleeping one of the state border check points until 7:30am. Between Chetumal MX and Villahermosa I was stopped at 3 military check points. At 2 of them they searched the entire car, even under the floor mats, and all of my belongings. They were nice about it and I was soon on my way. Now I’m in Veracruz which is about ½ way to the TX/MX border. That drive was an adventure too. When I got to Alvarado (near Veracruz) the entire town and 5 miles of the road northwest was flooded. Hundreds of homes were flooded, some to their roofs. That took over 3 hours just for that 5 mile stretch. I watched Police and private boats were rescuing people from their homes while we very slowly drove the flooded road. I know it sound crazy but I drove in up to 2 feet of water and was scared stiff! I was too far into it before I wised up and thought about turning around. So I figured I’d play the waiting game and keep driving and if it got any deeper than what I’d already driven through, or the water start flowing, I’d turn around and see what other direction I could go. I REALLY didn’t relish the thought of driving to Mexico City! Anyway, Tractor/trailers and buses were plowing through the water, making huge waves that washed up onto the hoods of us traveling in the opposite direction and shook our vehicles as they passed. I prayed for safe passage through the watery streets and was granted it, and said a prayer of thanks once I was on dry road again. I finally got to Veracruz around 3pm and I’m going to spend the night here, getting some much needed rest and an early start in the morning. I’m not sure that I’ll make it to Brownsville though because the worst of the roads is coming up. More as I make my way toward Pat’s home in Stagecoach TX!
As always, stay well, keep happy, and practice peace. I am!!!
1 comment:
Rich, I am with you in spirit! You will make it. Just remember when hungry ask for Carne Asada with Papas and Frijoles. Everything else is mucho gracias Senior or Senora. PS: Thank God for Pemex's LOL. CHEERS
Post a Comment