My trailer axle was finally repaired by about 1:30 and we were on our way. Finally! We both felt that today was going to be lucky for us and we'd actually cross into Mexico. For me it's been a long time in coming what with all the other hiccups and my step mother dying. We headed to the border To obtain my temporary vehicle paperwork. After spending almost four hours getting the paperwork, and going through a very cursory search trailer, we were finally on our way. We left the U.S., entering Matamoros MX, via the Veteran's International Bridge at about 6:15 pm central time.
Their highway signage leaves a lot to be desired. We are light years ahead of Mexico highway for easy navigation. After a few wrong turns, and some initial frustration, we finally found our way onto Mex101 and some very bumpy highway, if you can call it a highway. You have to be very Cognizant Because of the road surface there are many pot holes and you have to be equally aware of the traffic around you in the cities Because the drivers will force their way into the smallest spot, seeking a quick ride to where ever they are going. Of course in Mexico, as in the U.S., no matter how fast you drive, the traffic lights keep you within a few car lengths of where you were in the pack. Interestingly their traffic lights work a bit differently than ours. When the light is about to change network the green light flashes several times before the amber light comes on for about 5 seconds. So you have to beware of the age of the light and be ready for it to change quickly for the highway As they have this very narrow right lane separating it from a normal sized left lane by a dotted line same as in the U.S. You are supposed to keep as far to the right as possible, but there is no way to put a normal sized car in that lane let alone a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a nine foot wide travel trailer. Cars that pass you want to use the left lane traveling at breakneck speeds. Very unnerving to us Americans.
We drove south for approximately one and a half hours, headed for Tampico, and hit an immigration check point where your passport, visa, and temporary vehicle permit are checked. My paperwork was fine but poor Kevin did not have a visa. Having traveled in Mexico numerous time he's never been anywhere that required one. In the section of the country we were in it's required to have a visa when you plan to travel more than 70 kilometers from the border. In our halting Spanish we asked where we could get one for Kevin. The answer you ask? Back at the border crossing in Matamoros. Yes one and a half hours back the way we came and as close to the border as we could get without crossing back into the U.S. Kevin was understandably upset! Me I took it as just one more hiccup in our trip. So back to Matamoros where we started. We had plenty of time to get back before the office closed at 9pm. We did have one almost disastrous mishap on the way back. I pulled as far over to the right as possible to allow traffic to pass and failed to see a steep drop off. The right wheels of the Jeep and trailer dropped down and I, in my moment of panic, jerked the steering wheel hard to the left. Obviously not the right thing to do but I was tired. The trailer jack knifing began but I was able to get it under control and off the highway in a safer spot. We both jumped out to see what damage I may have done, and wondered if it would necessitate being towed back to Brownsville for repairs. But my Angels have been working overtime these past few weeks and successfully pulled my butt out of the fire eleven o'clock with no damage. Within minutes we were on our way and I drove more slowly and carefully so that we could get back to our original starting point.
Back at the border I was sure there was parking on the Mexican side that would allow us to go into the office and get back on the road without any trouble. I was right. But I did manage to make a HUGE mistake gringo before we got to the office. I stopped at a group of soldiers looking to see if any of them spoke so I could ask EspaƱol directions. What came out of my mouth though was, "You speak Spanish?" (Do you speak Spanisch?) Of course they all started laughing even though I tried to correct myself. I think they were still laughing 20 minutes later when we were headed back on our way.
So back over the same crappy roads but with a bit less traffic. Our plan was to return to a spot just before the check point and find a safe spot to spend the night. Just yards before the checkpoint was a restaurant where it looked like we could find a good meal. I almost said a "Mexican" restaurant but here they are all Mexican. Another gringo mistake I would think. So we ordered bisteak with potatoes, refried beans and salad. Since Kevin had been beating himself up the entire trip back to the border and back to the check point I was ready for a beer to calm himself. Needless to say they had a quart bottle that really did the trick! Kevin asked the restaurant owner if it was ok to leave the car and trailer on the shoulder of the road for the night. He offered us a spot in his parking lot, nicely and safely out of the way of any traffic. We finally went to bed about 11:30
The highway noise was pretty loud though but did quiet some during the night. Kevin wears ear plugs so was bothered a bit less than I but I was out within a few minutes. We both got up about 6:30 and were back on the road by 7:05.
No comments:
Post a Comment