We exceeded our goal of getting to Chetumal Mexico today. We actually crossed over into Corozal Belize around 6pm!!! What a breeze the roads were today compared to the last couple of days. All of it was Autopista and while the road was 1 lane in a lot of places it was a very uneventful trip. We asked the whereabouts of a hotel so we could get in a shower but the one we were told about was closed Monday-Wednesday because of the slow economy. It was right next to a customs lot so we asked the guard if there was anlther. He said no but that the owner lived a few houses donw the road and suggested we go talk to her. Her house was gated and had a bunch of dogs so I yelled through the gate and the lady came out. That’s when we found out that the place was closed. She said she couldn’t open up but offered us her shower. Her name is Beverly and she has lives in Corozal for the past 20 years. She and her husband own the hotel. He’s a cardo surgeon in Massachusetts and spends his time there while she lives in Belize caring for the hotel. Kevin took his shower 1st so I asked her about living in Corozal. She recommended against it so I decided not to consider it. I’m glad because I immediately liked Dangriga when we drove into it. Before we left I gave her 2 Angel coins and put a prayer on her’s that business picked up. It actually brought tears to her eyes. While I hate to see a woman cry they were good tears and I felt that I had helped her in my small way.
On our way to the border we stopped at a Mayan ruin called Xpuhil and really enjoyed having the place to ourselves. I’ll post pictures later. It was a very beautiful place with some fantastic reliefs on it.
We slept in the trailer with the windows open and were so glad to spend a night not hearing very loud truck traffic noises. The temp was in the high 70’s and humid so the breeze through the windows was a delight.
No comments:
Post a Comment