We were up at our usual time and got in a short walkabout before we left. I loved the drive because I was finally in Belize and nearing my journey after all my planning, buying, and misadventures.
We arrived in Dangriga around 2:30 and found the airport where Kevin booked a flight to Belize City tomorrow for his flight home. It will save me a 4 hour drive and some pretty expensive gas. Gas prices her are anywhere from $4-$5 a gallon. Sure is a lot more than the $1.93 in Mexico! One of the people at the airport told me who to talk about for a spot to park my trailer for a couple of days while I search for a permanent spot. It’s US$10 a day and right next to the Pelican Beach Resort where Kevin booked us a room right on the Caribbean. So after a shower and an email update to everyone about our arrival I headed down to the beach where Kevin was. I was looking for my 1st Belikan Beer that would prove to me that we were really here. As I walked through the patio bar I saw Kevin’s back pack at a table with a cold Belikan sitting on the table! So I drank it straight down and walked to find Kevin. We talked to the resort security guard and got info on a good restaurant for dinner. He headed for the table while I took a picture of 2. When I got back to the table he was mad thinking that someone there had drunk his beer. I started laughing and raised my hand saying I did it. He laughed too and ordered us more. A little while later we drove into town and found the restaurant. We both had whole fried snapper with a small salad and a huge pile of red beans and rice. While we were waiting for our food this guy walks up and welcomes me back. Back??? I told him I’d never been there and he said, “Oh you have the red vehicle with the canoe. I saw you drive into town with a trailer.” “Yep, that’s us.”, said I. So I told him what my plans were and he immediately offered a spot about 2 miles off the coast on his family’s farm right on the Sittee River. Hey it may be just the spot! You never know who you will meet that has the answer to your prayer. I told him I’d see him this week and take a look at it.
We finished dinner and took a walk around looking for a fridge magnet for Kevin to take home as a souvenir. No luck but I told him the Belize City airport stores had all that stuff and very reasonably priced. He has a 2 hour wait in the airport so he’ll have plenty of time to look.
So now we’re sitting on the same patio we started off at having more Belikans and fruit. Kevin bought a shot of Belizean Rum made from sugar cane to see how it tasted. We saw miles and mile of sugar cane both in Mexico and here in Belize and wondered how good the rum would be. It was very tasty! Kev may buy a bottle for home from the Duty Free.
I’m having a tough time uploading the arrival pictures to Facebook because the hotel internet is so weak. I’m multitasking the upload and writing this while while suffering through the long wait and frequent upload failures. Once they are done and published It’s off to bed. I’m feeling the effects of the Belikans and the relief of journeys end so I know I’ll be asleep quickly.
I’ll begin blogging tomorrow about my search for a home. Until then…
No comments:
Post a Comment